Worthy volunteers from British Columbia (24) and the United States (24) will be nominated by their home curling clubs to attend this special event, to be recognized and participate in a weekend of friendly competition and curling fellowship.
The International Tankard event is a a partnership of CurlBC Region 11 and the Washington State Curling Association. In the past the event has been held at at curling clubs in British Columbia and at Granite Curling Club in Seattle, but it has never before been held in Oregon.
The yearly event, which started as an unwritten agreement between the Pacific Coast Curling Association (British Columbia) and the Washington State Curling Association (WSCA), was first held in Victoria, BC in 1963. Each year, six teams from each country meet in a friendly competition. Each team plays 3 games.
Since the early 2000s the WSCA has invited curlers from other clubs both within and outside Washington State to join the US teams. Today, curlers throughout the western USA who have made exemplary volunteer contributions to curling locally, regionally or nationally will be eligible for nomination to one of the 6 US teams.
Recent International Tankard participants from Evergreen Curling Club:
- 2014 (at Cowichan Rocks CC): Kathy Placek
- 2013 (Golden Ears CC): Wayne Brock, Eric Toews and Keith LaFortune
- 2012 (Granite CC): Patrick Julian and Arnie Iwanick
- 2011 (Gibsons CC): Peren Bjork and Bruce Irvin
- 2010 (Langley CC): Steve Liske, Joe Petsche, Wayne Brock, Luke Hansen, Arnie Iwanick, Stephen Hart
- 2009 (Granite CC):
- 2008 (Mission Granite CC): Arnie Iwanick
Evergreen CC thrives thanks to the great and lasting contributions from all of its volunteers. For more information, see the International Tankard website.